The first link in the chain of being a disciple of Christ confronts us with our deepest need: – I cannot save myself from sin.

I am a pauper without Christ (poor in spirit).

The “poverty of spirit” Tude then leads us to the next link in the chain:We need to have an attitude of “mourning.”

Does that mean, as a disciple of Christ, I am Eeyorish in my attitude everyday?  Does it mean I am no fun to be around and I lack joy in my life?  Does it mean that I act like someone close to me just died, at all times?

In the context of Matthew 5, just as “poverty of spirit” doesn’t refer to financial losses or woes, “mourning” doesn’t refer to grieving the death of someone.  Bereavement is natural sorrow, but the word used here for “mourning” goes well beyond natural feelings.  This word, “mourn,” speaks of the strongest kind of lamentation.

A true disciple of Christ mourns what He mourns!

What causes Jesus to mourn or weep?

Sin

When Jesus wept at the tomb of Lazarus, it was not because of bereavement.  Jesus knew He was going to raise Lazarus from the dead.  He wept because of the suffering (death) sin had rendered on those He loved and because of the people’s blindness and UNBELIEF.  (They were mourning as if there were no hope – John 11:31-35).

Jesus wept over Jerusalem, knowing many would reject Him. (Luke 19:41-44)

Jesus still weeps today over our unbelief. (Heb 5:7-8

As His disciples, we must see sin (unbelief) through the eyes of God.  (I John 3:4; Deut 9:7)

There are two categories of sin.

Sins of Commission

We commit sins of commission when God clearly tells us in His Word that something is sin but we choose to do it anyway.  In other words, it is when I choose to do what I know I should not do (ACTION).

I commit (commission) sin when I choose to lie instead of telling the truth. (Lev 19:11)

When I choose to look lustfully at another person OTHER than my spouse. (Matt 5:28)

When I choose to engage in pre-marital sex with my boyfriend or girlfriend. ( I Cor 6:18-20)

When I choose to be cruel with my words or dwell on wrong thoughts. (Philippians 4:8)

WARNING!

The danger, however, is that we become fixated on sins of commission because they are external and are easily identified, thus missing the other, equally pernicious category of sin:

Sins of Omission

This is failing to do what God has commanded me to do.  It is not doing what I know I should do (James 4:7) (INACTION).

Sins of omission are not always apparent to others.

I may live a holy life and go to church three times a week, but fail (omit) to share the good news. (Mt. 28:18-20; Acts 2:38-41).

I may choose to watch a TV show with sexual content even though the Holy Spirit is telling me not to. (Philippians 4:8)

I may choose not to obey my parents when they tell me I cannot go to a party.

When God asks me to act (i.e. teach a Sunday school class, help someone in need), I may refuse.

Sins of omission and sins of commission steal the powerful purpose God has for me as His child.  They also cause God to grieve.

As His disciples, the things that cause God to grieve should also grieve us.

Two responses to sin.

Worldly Sorrow

Where we mourn not because we did wrong (violating God’s standard), but because we got caught.

This sorrow does not seek God’s help. Therefore, worldly sorrow over sin leads to death (i.e. Judas’ sorrow Matt 27:3-5).

Godly Sorrow

Where we mourn because we realize our sin has violated God’s holiness, grieved the Holy Spirit, and broken our fellowship with Him and our relationship with others.

The mourning or sorrow Jesus is teaching about in Matthew 5:4 does not come to us naturally, but supernaturally, through the power of the Holy Spirit (i.e. David’s sorrow Psalm 32:1-5).

Godly sorrow over sin leads to GOD (Psalm 32:1).

The second attitude ( link in the chain), therefore,  of a disciple of Christ is one of repentance or contrition (mourning).

Just as the “poverty of spirit” Tude extends beyond salvation, so too does Godly sorrow over sin.  Sin grieves God whether it happens before or after salvation (Isaiah 59:1-2).   Treating sin lightly demonstrates that we do not grasp the enormous cost Christ paid for our sins.

As His disciples, we must make it a priority to develop our attitude toward sin (James 4:7-17).  Our grief or guilty conscience is a warning light on the dashboard of life.  When it is flashing, something needs to be taken care of immediately or the situation will become critical!

Mourning leads to repentance.  Repentance leads to forgiveness.  Forgiveness leads to peace.  Joy is restored.  We are comforted!

The truth is, the closer we grow to God the more we will mourn over sin (Psalm 51:3-4).   When we mourn over sin and its devastating effects, our hearts become tender. We hurt when others hurt; we become burdened for those lost in their sins and it spurs us on to DO something about it.

As His disciples, are we too dry-eyed?

When was the last time you found yourself face down on the floor before your God, weeping for your sins?

When was the last time you found yourself weeping over the sins of those around you?  Do you have a “most wanted list” of loved ones you are weeping over for salvation?

As His disciple, I must mourn over my sin and the sins of others.  I must fall to my knees seeking God’s grace.  Then, I must get up and offer God’s grace to this fallen world.

Filed Under: Monday Morning Musings

Comments

1. David Rose says:

Good morning. I am wrestling with a question: Does Jesus still weep today? In this article you state that He does, and reference Hebrews 5:7-8. While that verse does state that Jesus wept, it clearly state “here on earth” or “in the flesh” depending on which translation you use. Do you have a more definitive verse to support you statement that Jesus weeps today? I hope so because I think you are correct.

Thanks,

???????,??????????! .

9. Sprinklerjmc says:

???????,??????????! .

10. Focusaoc says:

???????,??????????! .

11. RichardVon says:

DatingAdvice.com is a collection of dating industry experts who dispense wisdom on “all things dating” every day.

I fulfilled my Henry November of 2016 on AsianMelodies. He acquired into a accommodate of armor and proposed on bended knee on Valentine’s Working day 2017. It worked for me! My expertise was that people who pay for a dating have been additional severe.

As well as important overview variables, this payment may affect how and where products seem throughout the web site (which includes, such as, the order through which they appear). Our web site doesn’t include the entire universe of obtainable provides. Editorial opinions expressed on the internet site are strictly our very own and are not furnished, endorsed, or accredited by advertisers.

Searchmate is usually a specialist personalized introductions and proactive dating look for service for appealing professionals, with dating agency places throughout the complete of the united kingdom.

Legends all over the world notify about exclusive splendor of Russian ladies. A large number of people arrive at the region in search of hot girls, who can at some point turn into beautiful Russian girlfriends. Even “Beatles” sang a song, mentioning Russian women there. So who will be they and the way to meet them?

Workplace and so are beneath lawful obligations to keep your knowledge Risk-free and secure. This simply call usually takes about half an hour and is also a diarised appointment. Appreciate becoming outside and a bit adventure at times, I like getting spontanious. We are going to then e-book inside of a consultation for you to carry out your identity test. Upon getting turn into a member, We are going to request you to complete a profile questionnaire. Look for our community of just about two hundred places of work in states across the country, to find local position openings in good shape for your experience, abilities and ambitions. The session and check aid us write an accurate profile in your case and select the best matches in your case.
    millionaire dating agency

If you are one of several minority of men who place into observe every one of the strategies below You then’ll be beating off beautiful mature brides that has a adhere.

When your a mature man trying to find a mature Russian women for marriage now has not been such a good time, and you really can have the possibility to meet your

I myself have never completed the online dating issue. I at the time signed up on OKCupid for a week to write a good reference for my Pal Mattie (I don’t even know when they try this any longer) so he could look intriguing to some person he was stalking, but which was it.

I do know, I know. Getting up and going out, especially this time of calendar year, seems like cruel and strange punishment, but if you’re intending to meet somebody IRL, It’s important to venture out into the real entire world.

Obtaining been on This page I find it abysmal.Plenty of winks and profile views but if you go to examine the people out These are possibly not utilizing the website anymore or they have not been online for over per month so, inform me how soon after a month they out of the blue just wink at somebody.I received my account deleted right after I asked possible dates to make use of my title in almost any replies so I might know they had been serious instead of a Digital person and guess what zip!

You’re to blame for oneself and please bear in mind your usage of This great site constitutes acceptance of our Conditions of Use.

We do hope that the data we furnished you with is useful! Appreciate is awaiting you – just give it an opportunity to occupy your heart.

Every thing on This page superb and wonderful. They help a single mom out, I could not head out so I went online to find a boyfriend as well as a partner. I satisfied a wonderful man inside the 12 months 2009. We are actually married ever since and we however together.